Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Stress-Reducing Hobby!

Just thought I'd share some images from an all too neglected hobby-- baking cupcakes!!

I made these for my students! I do believe I am the best teacher ever! :)

These were made for my Mom's and Brother's birthday! (Justin helped decorate them!) Sadly, before the cupcakes even made it out of the door for their trip to Georgetown, the cupcake holder's handle broke and all of the icing smeared! :(

Justin and I made these for my Father-in-law's birthday! :) We consider cupcake making to be bonding time, now!  These cupcakes were HUGE! Please note the picture below:

The cupcake on the left is a normal sized cupcake. This just shows how humongous the cupcake on the left is! :)

My favorite part:
Buttercream Icing:
Yield: 3 cups

1 cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water
1 lb. powdered sugar (approx. 4 cups)
1 tablespoon meringue powder

(I do not have meringue powder so I make meringue first with 1 egg white, 1/4 tsp of cream of tarter, 1/6 cup of sugar, and a very small pinch of salt and then follow the below directions. )

Cream shortening, flavoring, and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.

If you need to thin the icing, just add a little bit of water at a time until you reach the consistency you like. If you have any questions, just ask!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...