Thursday, October 29, 2009

Saudades.

With Halloween approaching, sharing the story of Saudade only seems appropriate!

On the Wednesday night before Justin left for Brazil, we took the opportunity to have a date night! We took a picnic to Falls Park in Downtown Greenville, SC and ate dinner. Afterwards we walked around a little, talked about his trip, and then decided to head back to my apartment. Since Justin grew pumpkins this year, he decided to bring two of them for me! We concluded that it would be best for us to carve one and leave the other one for decoration!

Here is the one we chose to carve....


Last year we had the hardest time trying to decide on a face, so I suggested that we come up with a name first and design a face that matches it.

I immediately thought of the name Saudade. Saudade is a Portugese word that describes the feeling of "the love that remains" after someone is gone. In Portugese, 'Tenho Saudades Tuas,' translated as 'I have saudades for you' means 'I miss you!' Since Justin will be in Brazil on Halloween, I will have saudades for him, so the name seemed fitting.


This name inspired a feeling, which in turn inspired a face! We knew the face would have to be sad, but not in a 'you make me want to cry' way, but in a 'I really miss you' way! :)
We used symbolism to get the point across. A tear drop would fall from his eye, however the tear drop would be an upside down heart, making it clear Saudade is missing his love.

Saudade ended up looking even more sad than we had originally planned. However, I guess that is how I will feel on Halloween without Justin. ;) Just kidding. Anyway, Justin looks a little too happy to be holding such a sad pumpkin, doesn't he?

I know, I know. Halloween pumpkins aren't supposed sad. We have promised that this will be the only sad pumpkin we ever carve! Although he is a very sad pumpkin, I love Saudade, anyway! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...