Sunday, November 1, 2009

This ring is 63 years old....

Today was Homecoming at my home church in Georgetown, SC so I went back to see all of the folks I have not been able to see in a while. As they were asking about life and the "so do you have a boyfriend?" question, I was pleased to say, "well actually, he's my fiance'!" Most of the ladies oooohed and aaaahed and asked to see the ring as excitement filled their smiles. Many of the ladies offered advice and well wishes to the bride to be, but one lady offered a little more, a story that I will never forget.
As I stood in the aisle of the church, Mrs. Stella Jacobs held me close as she whispered her own love story in my ear. She held out her hand and started off with, "This ring is 63 years old!" As she began to speak, tears of happiness came to her eyes. Her excitement for me was obvious when she said that her and her husband had been married for 63 years and are happier now than the day they got married. She said that the best days of my life will be spent with my husband (Justin!) and every bicker, every fight will be well worth it!
Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs were my age (21) when they married and have been richly blessed with children and grandchildren. She told me that the key to their marriage was their relationship with God. Like most little old ladies, Mrs. Jacobs mixed humor into her story. She said that there were times that she could have killed Mr. Noah and that she probably would have if it wasn't for her being a Christian. (I snickered.) "But in all seriousness," she said "learn from your fights, always forgive and always respect him. This is the key to marriage."
As she concluded, she said "your husband is supposed to strive to be your better half, but you may have to strive to be his first." As she hugged me real tight before letting go she said, "I have prayed for you ever since you were a little girl in my Sunday school class. You are like a granddaughter and I know God will richly bless you in your marriage." As she release and allowed me to go mingle with other excited older ladies, I could not help but be extraordinarily thankful for returning to Screven Baptist Church for Homecoming. I do not think I will ever forget Mrs. Jacobs' advice nor will I forget how much she loves and truly cares for me.
I won't analyze her conclusion on this blog like I have already done in my head, but I just thought I would share the advice and conclusion she has come to after 63 years of a strong and beautiful marriage.

This is what inspired the entire conversation! :) (Of course I had to show it off at some point on here! :) )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...