Sunday, May 15, 2011

Best. Line. Ever.

Middle school teachers have the best job. Hands down. There really is no comparison when the room is quiet, the kids are focused, and all of a sudden your most inquisitive and sarcastic student's hand goes up with a question. Throughout the course of the year I've heard many of comments and lines from my students, and even though I know to expect random statements, you never really know what is going through these kiddos' minds.

Friday, this was exactly the situation I had before me. A quiet classroom, hard-working students, when a hand went up.

Student: "Mrs. Tyson, can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Is it appropriate or relevant to instruction?"
Student: "Well, uh, I guess it might be."
Me: (A little intrigued, because their questions are rarely unamusing.) "Okay, what's the question?"
Student: "Well, I was just wondering. Um. Can you still stand the smell of your husband? My mom said that when she was pregnant she couldn't stand the smell of my dad."
Me: (In a very shocked, not knowing what the appropriate response is to that question when responding to a 13 year old, I answered...) "Well, not sure where that came from when you were supposed to be finding the main idea, but yes, yes I can still stand the smell of my husband."

I do believe we need to review the important concept of what relevant and appropriate classroom questions sound like. Have I mentioned that teaching middle school is very entertaining?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...