Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cooking Like Grandma.

 I ventured home this weekend to ease the sting of loneliness and to spend some much needed time with my family. There were several items on the agenda for the weekend and very little time. So we had to prioritize the list: a cookout, haggling with Verizon for a new phone, going to a play, and learning to cook like my grandma!


 For years I have idolized my grandma for her cooking skills, but have always been a little disgruntled by the fact that she doesn't have any of her famous recipes written down. Just mix it until it looks right!

Well, this weekend changed all of that. My mom and I convinced her to let us help her make her scrumptious Chicken and Dumplings. While we were making them, we formulated a recipe.  We converted her special glass she uses to measure her milk and water into appropriate standardized units of measurement. And her handful of shortening...we measured that, too. I was able to witness first hand the proper consistency, how to cut the dumplings, and when to drop them in the broth.



I learned a lot, but the true test of the recipe will be when I try to make them by myself.... it may take several attempts. The next recipe to document: Homemade Biscuits! Yum!

To make sure the recipe is replicable, I will share it after I attempt to make them. :)

1 comment:

Kit said...

OOh! let me know how it goes! Nathan loves chicken & dumplings, but I haven't braved that recipe yet. I've never had chicken & dumplings, so I'm not too sure how it's supposed to taste/look or anything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...