Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sharing Old Memories, Making New Ones

Yesterday, Justin and I made the 13-hour drive to Florence, SC to join family and friends in celebrating the life of my grandmother and honoring her memory. When we arrived at Grandma's house this morning after a restful night at a friend's house, all of her old photo albums were pulled out and spread across the dining room table. Friends and relatives gathered around the table to look through the pictures, to share stories and reminisce, and to remember Grandma as the person she was - someone who cherished her family. Eyes grew teary as old memories were revisited. Looking through the photos reminded us how much we have changed over the years, but what was equally remarkable was how little the old homeplace had changed. Justin and I decided to use some of the old photographs to create new memories.

My dad beside Grandma's house with his old Brittany Spaniel


Grandma holding my dad on the front porch nearly 50 years ago - shutters have been added to the window, but the exact same swing still occupies this spot. Little and I in the background make this a four-generation photo!


1 comment:

Kylie said...

Seeing the one with you on the porch made me tear up. What a wonderful way to honor your grandmother. Have a safe drive home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...