Saturday, January 1, 2011

Thinking Back...Looking Forward

 It's 2011!  Happy New Year!

As one of my friends  recently put it, "We have arsenic-based "alien" life forms on Earth, near-apocalyptic natural disasters, tiny computers we can wear that hook up into a worldwide information network, and electric cars. All we need is teleportation devices and we’ll be in The Future."

We've all seen shows like The Jetsons and Back to the Future and we imagine the future being full of flying cars and time travel, but when we sit down to really look at it, we have achieved some pretty fantastic stuff.

2010 did not only bring some big changes and advances in technology and scientific definitions, it also shook my personal world quite a bit.

Not to go into all of the changes - because I have routinely blogged about them in detail over the course of the year - I will say some of the changes were quite unexpected. As I kissed my fiance' at midnight, we didn't have a clue what the coming year would bring. We had big plans for me to graduate college, us to get married, and me to move to Clayton, GA and live with him.
As most of you know, I did graduate, we did get married - but those were really the only things that went according to our plans. I did get a teaching job - it just happened to be clear across the state. We did finish our house, but we do not live in it. We moved to a city where we both could find jobs. We're left paying mortgage on one house and rent on another. Some days it is difficult, most days we just laugh. We're blessed and we know it.


We've all heard the saying, "The best made plans of mice and men often go awry." Well, you don't have to lecture us on that anymore...we live it everyday.

I'm a planner. I'm stubborn.  I am impatient. When all of these characteristics are put together, it drives me crazy not to know when the future holds. So, as I sit and think, making new year resolutions and thinking of all of the possibilities - I smile, but know... anything is possible. What a great feeling!

So, as I kissed my husband at midnight this New Year's Eve we still had no idea what to expect the coming year to bring, but we're excited to be able face everything together!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...