Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day.

Don't you just love an excuse to dress in red, cut out little hearts out of pink and red construction paper, and wonder what creative surprise you'll have waiting for you when you get home? Admittedly, like many women at some point throughout their life, I used to hate Valentine's Day. I think it started in middle school, actually. All of the girls would get giant balloons and stuffed teddy bears that would, if their boyfriends really liked them, sing and dance, and on occasion, light up. This disdain did not stem from jealousy, oh no - I always had a valentine: my dad :). This uneasiness, this dislike, this annoyance really stemmed from not understanding the purpose - if you love someone, or even really like them, aren't you supposed to show them everyday? Aren't you supposed to give them flowers on more than one day out of the year? And tell me, how much love does a teddy bear really show? (Just curious.)

Flowers from my dad!
 After being reminded of days of middle school past, and seeing all of the balloons and having to tell the girls to stop eating their chocolates if they weren't going to share with the entire class, I began to think how differently I see Valentine's day now that I'm married. Justin and I do try hard to show each other on a regular basis that we love each other. We try to do little things and leave little reminders often, however, sometimes there is the oh-so-dreaded little rut. Sometimes we get stuck, day in and day out, going to work, paying the bills, playing around on the computer, cooking whatever is the easiest, and we forget, we ignore, and ultimately we become selfish.   So, now I see Valentine's Day as a day to break from our ordinary routine. A day set aside in the American society to ensure that couples take time to spend with each other, to say 'I love you' in a form other than words. Maybe I'm going to like this day after all! :)
Flowers from Justin.
Justin is a romantic. He always has been. Yesterday he surprised me by showing up at school around 11:15 with lunch and flowers in hand. He was a good sport as our lunch date was interrupted several times by co-workers coming in to ask questions or just wanting to chat. When he left I was so giddy, kind of like I was a middle schooler again and he was holding my hand for the first time.

But he didn't stop there. When I pulled in the drive after work, I was immediately greeted with an amazing aroma - someone was grilling something. As I approached our front porch, I realized it was our grill creating that wonderful smell. Justin came out and showed me "the lovebirds" and told me what else we were having for dinner.
 

Lovebirds (more commonly known as Chicken)

Garlic Cheesy Biscuits!


Potatoes, Peppers, Onions, and Sausage!

Creative touch: Justin converted my pie dish into a flower arrangement and candle holder.

My Plate.
My lovie's hard work and thoughtfulness really meant a lot to me. I love him dearly and I am very happy that I am the lucky woman he chose to spend the rest of his life with! :) Oh, and the chicken was as good as it appears to be!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...