Saturday, February 12, 2011

Here We Go.

I'm still in a state of disbelief. I never thought I would say this, especially now that everything is finally moved in, situated, and we recently discovered more storage space in our house in North Augusta.

 We're moving to Mississippi.

Why, exactly? Let's rewind. Since Justin's first week working in Augusta in June 2010, he determined he needed to find a different job. Eight months later, he was still looking. Numerous resumes were sent out and a couple of phone interviews were conducted, but nothing came of them.

About a month ago, Justin was called by an HR representative from Weyerhaeuser and informed that they wanted to interview him for a position in McComb, Mississippi. He had sent a resume to the company in late June of 2010, but he never heard anything back until a long-time friend who has worked for Weyerhaeuser for many years gave a "shameless" (his own words) recommendation to an upper manager. I guess it's like they say, "It's not what you know, it's who you know".

 

Two weeks later, Justin was on a plane bound for New Orleans for an interview. The interview went very well, and he came back excited about the company and with the people he met while in Mississippi. They told him they would be in touch the next week, and sure enough, the following week he was told that an offer letter for employment was on the way. As excited as he was about the prospect of a better job with a better company, we were still very apprehensive about moving so far away from our families. When the offer letter came, however, we both knew immediately that it was an offer we couldn't refuse.


We both know the next few months are going to be kind of rough. His start date is March 14 - the Monday following Nathan (his brother) and Megan's wedding. Since I am under contract and have to finish out the school year in Aiken, I will continue to live in our 2 bedroom, 1 bath house in the ghetto until June 3rd.  After several nights of sobbing and lots of complaining and whining, I finally think I have come to terms with us moving. I say this, but I'm sure this month is going to fly by and I will be back in sulking and self-pitying mode very soon.

We have lots to do before he moves - looking for a house, getting approved for a loan, packing most of our stuff, etc. I'm sure the next few months will be full of smiles and tears (and a few arguments) as we try to get our new life straightened out. We will both find it hard to live so far away from our friends and families, but we are excited about the opportunities that await us at the next place we will call home.

2 comments:

brii said...

I am happy for Justin that he will have a job he enjoys, but also very selfishly sad that you two will be so far away :-( Love you guys!

Kit said...

I feel for ya Casie...it's not going to be fun, but it'll be manageable...and it will help you appreciate each other even more. Call me sometime and tell me the details!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...