Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Healthy Preparation.

When I was pregnant I ate only what I was supposed to. I watched my sugar intake, cut back on unhealthy fats, and only on rare occasions did I let myself eat junk food. Since Ellery has come and blessed our little family, our plates are constantly filled with meals that consist of whatever is easy, fast, and still edible. This means, mostly using ingredients out of a can, frozen, or prepackaged in a different way. With Little around, my time is split and cooking dinner, although it always gets cooked, doesn't quite get the nutritional attention it deserves.

This is my attempt to change all of that.

Ellery deserves a healthy start, and in order for that to happen, I must make a change. I must feed my body the right foods, the healthy, whole foods - less chemicals, artificial additives, and preservatives. If we as a family make this change now, Ellery will grow up knowing only nutritious foods, and be ignorant of the opposite (at least until school age, I suppose). This is my hope.

My yesterday was spent in the kitchen, wearing baby, as I prepared for a healthier week. I'm inspired by the blog 100 Days of Real Food , and lately I have been trying to make most of our food, especially bread products, instead of buying it already packaged. This helps me control the ingredients, (such as salt, sugar, oil, butter) and gives me a better understanding of what is actually entering my body.

Yesterday I made:
  
Whole-Wheat Muffins: Topped with homemade granola, blueberries, and raspberries. Recipe here.

Whole-Wheat Tortillas. Recipe here.

Homemade Granola.
1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
4 tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp oil

So now I have a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a pinch, without feeling the urge to just have husband pick up something on the way home. We're getting one step closer to healthier eating, one recipe at a time. Just what my daughter deserves.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Cloth Diapers.
Wearing Baby.
Homeopathic Remedies.
Real Homemade Food.

Glad I'm not the only one who has been turned into a total hippie* by this whole motherhood thing. :) It's fun! And I love that all our kids will grow up and be able to share stories of soft drink and Little Debbie snack cake deprevation.

(*Brii: you don't count...you were already a total hippie! haha)

brii said...

Self-proclaimed hippie for sure :-)

We, too, are making this effort, and I am finding myself loving it! I have so much more energy on the days I get up and make myself a green smoothie than on the days I down a bowl of cereal. Today's lunch was a total fail (chicken tacos at Chili's!), but back on track tomorrow! I am definitely going to try your tortilla recipe! This week I am digging into salad with a side of whole wheat pasta salad with tomato and roasted asparagus :-)

Love y'all! Miss you!

Kylie said...

It all looks deliciously amazing! I came across 100 days... about a month ago, but didn't read much on the blog. Once I saw this post, I went back and actually read the blog. Things will change around our house from now on, too. She makes eating fresh seem so simple! Thank you for opening my eyes to this, Casie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...