Friday, March 30, 2012

Genuine.


 As my sweet girl sleeps, I sit here and think quietly to myself. My thoughts are consumed with the world in which she is growing up. The world where materialistic things and the latest fashion trends guide our worth and our perception of beauty. I think about television and the media in general. How every advertisement, reality show, and sitcom focuses on the things of this world: money, fame, and artificial happiness.  

It makes me sad, but more so, it makes me want to fight; fight everything that defines us as anything other than ourselves as individuals.
As a parent, I want the best for my child. I want her to love, enjoy, play, succeed, and simply put, be genuine. I want Ellery to be free. Free of the world and what it tells her beauty looks like. I want her to know that money and success are not directly correlated. Neither is happiness. 

Ellery needs to know that we are not defined by our possessions, but rather our character. She needs to know that blessings do not always come with a price tag or in nicely wrapped packaging - they often come quietly, in love and peace and understanding. For these are the rarities of life, these are special and can't be bought. For these are the things I intend to teach. 

2 comments:

Kylie said...

You have such a beautiful way with words. Well said!

Amy Nielson said...

she's such a cutie! and i hear ya... i don't want parker to ever be corrupted by everything that is out there :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...