Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sleeping Fancy.

This is where I take a moment to tell you, dear readers, that we're moving up in the world. And by that I mean, we have a new bed. If we acquire any new furniture these days, especially if it is made of wood, my husband has most likely made it.  So, yes, my husband built me a bed. A bed! Like, cut down a tree, sawed the lumber, and used hand tools to make me a bed from scratch. Awesome, right? 

Justin has been building this piece of furniture in his head for about a year now. On his long drives to see me while we were living three states apart, he was planning, plotting, and figuring out the best way to tackle this project. 

Previously, our bed was a metal frame on wheels. Wheels that did not have a locking mechanism. Smart, huh?

 Justin's boss gave us this bad boy (with the mattress and box spring) for free, under one condition: it could never return to him.  We were poor, my big, pregnant belly was ever expanding, and the full size bed we were sharing seemed to be shrinking by the day; so, we happily accepted it. After a week or so of having to move the bed back to it's original location in the mornings, a good foot in any direction, making a bed frame was quickly put on the priority list.

Made out of quarter sawn white oak, this queen size baby is now complete and the focal point of our bedroom.

  I'll never have a more personalized bed. 

 A heart because he loves me.

  A tulip because it's my favorite flower.

For comparison: 

 Our bed on wheels:

Our grown-up bed: 
 Ellie approves, too! Way to go, daddy!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I love it. Larry was bragging on Justin's woodworking skills at church tonight. Great job!

Amanda said...

Oh now that is just the sweetest thing!! And what a handy craft for him to have!

Kit said...

I LOVE the bed! Justin did a great job! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...